This week we have the honor of introducing you to Krista Butler, a Labor and Delivery nurse and yoga instructor in Puyallup, WA. Her business, Stretching For Two, focuses on prenatal yoga and pregnancy coaching for women. We had the special opportunity to interview her and learn how she is changing lives while living her dream. Want to be inspired? Keep reading!
1. What did you do before you started Stretching For Two and what made you decide to start your own business?
- I became a yoga instructor while I was attending nursing school in 2008. Since my husband was in the military we moved all over, so I got the opportunity to teach yoga in many different places. While in Hawaii, I trained to be a Labor and Delivery nurse in a high-risk hospital. After Hawaii, we moved back to Washington and I continued to work in Labor and Delivery and I started to see how little preparation women had for pregnancy. These expectant mothers would come in and I would ask them about their support plan and if they were doing any yoga or other exercise to prepare their body and so many had no concept of what that would even look like. It really started to bother me. I mean, if you were running a marathon, you would have a game plan so that you could train up your body to reach the finish line! Every pregnant woman needs a coach and that's why I decided to combine my love of yoga with my L&D experience. Stretching For Two is an online-only prenatal yoga and pregnancy planning program. I also offer mother + baby and mother + child yoga classes. Clients contact me and we meet via webcam for an hour. The first half-hour is gentle yoga that is perfect for pregnancy preparation. The second half is really talking about pregnancy, their concerns and worries, and coming up with a support plan so that each woman is prepared for the big day.
2. What is your favorite part about what you do?
- I love that I can work with women to overcome anxiety and teach them about yoga and pregnancy at the same time. I get to expose others to new experiences and watch uncertainty turn to confidence! My ultimate dream is to open a commercial women's health center geared toward the child-bearing woman.
3. What makes your business unique?
- Well, I've been a Labor and Delivery nurse for 4 1/2 years and have been a part of hundreds of labors, so I know what I'm talking about. Adding yoga to pregnancy coaching means I get to combine Eastern and Western medicine in a very unique way.
4. How long have you been in business?
- I started Stretching For Two in August of 2015. We had a yoga studio in our house and were operating out of that for a while, but we are now 100% online as I have clients reaching out to me from all over.
5. What are you most proud of about your business?
- You know, most people tend to accept problems and move on. I think I'm most proud that I have created an environment where women can overcome the lack of pregnancy resources available to them and come up with a plan that is just for them. I get to be a person women come to for strength and that's incredible.
I was even more thrilled because Hartley was very into the Mommy and me yoga. Although Hartley is always on the go she was able to pay attention, participate in the entire class, and she thoroughly enjoyed it! She has been practicing some of the moves at home and we will be doing it again very soon. She couldn't keep her eyes off Krista. Krista got her attention and kept it!"
Check out the adorable photos from the Harts & Pearls + Stretching For Two collaboration!
Exclusively for you: Receive a 60 minute yoga session of your choice (prenatal, mommy + baby, or mommy + child) for only $40. That's a $60 dollar value! Use the code word Stretch42 when you contact Krista for your special offer.
A big thanks to Dee Jones at Open Door Photography for the incredible images! She offers several types of sessions and local to Puyallup, WA - check her out!