While it's definitely still winter, the sun breaks and singing birds are putting a spring in our step. Because of this, we wanted to give you a peek at our favorite natural skin and hair care products so you can be fresh for more sun, adventures, and exposure.
Washing your face is very important. We know! We know we sound like your mom, but if you really want to see a difference in your skin, keeping it clean needs to be a priority in your regimen. AND if there was ever a product to splurge on, facial cleanser and moisturizer is where it's at. There are tons of natural, sulfate, paraben, dye, fragrance, you-name-it free options out there for you to choose from. We put together a short list of some of our most loved, so check them out (and the companies that create them) for some inspiration:
- Aveda's Tourmaline Charged Radiance line. If you're looking for something to take your skin to the next level, this is it. This product series is infused with real tourmaline, a natural mineral (and beautiful gemstone) to increase your glow by refracting light off your skin. The cleanser features jojoba -pronounced ho-ho-ba- beads which are a natural alternative to the plastic exfoliating beads that are so bad for the environment, and the hydrating creme is incredibly decadent. Keep in mind that this particular line is formulated for normal to dry skin types. For other amazing products specific to your skin type, check out Aveda's website.
- Beauty Society's Set Me Free facial cleanser. This great-smelling cleanser for normal to oily skin is amazing. The best part? You can use it on your eyes to remove make-up. No more cotton balls or oily make-up remover. We're serious, this stuff is an all-natural one-stop wonder!
- DIY face masks. While a mask might seem like something reserved for slumber parties, it doesn't have to be. In fact, treating your skin to a mask once a week is the best way to give your skin a concentrated dose of what it needs most. There's a mask out there for every skin type and need: dry skin, oily skin, maturing skin, you name it!
- Real Chemistry 3 Minute Peel. Using natural enzymes that attach themselves to the dead skin cells that cling to your face, this amazing peel is gentle enough to use several times a week and takes no time at all. The fun part is that you can actually see and feel it work as your fingers buff the product into your skin.
Yes, your hair is 'technically' dead, but there are there are still awesome ways to enhance your mane in spite of that. Your scalp and hair follicles are also very much alive and since they are the generation points of your tresses keeping them healthy is right up there with facial cleanliness. Here are our favorite natural scalp and hair products:
- Parlor by Jeff Chastain Touchable Curl Cream. This product is best for naturally curly hair and helps reduce frizz, enhance curl, and leave hair conditioned without crunchiness. It's a bit like a leave in conditioner, but MUCH better.
- Um, raw coconut oil. You've probably been seeing this everywhere, and for good reason. It simply and naturally is the best! Great for damaged or dry hair, simply melt a few tablespoons in the microwave for about 20 seconds and then, over the sink, work it into your scalp and hair until things get stringy. After that, just tie it unto a bun and carry on with your evening. There's no time limit on how long you leave it in, but we recommend 20-30 minutes. Rinse it out with shampoo (go light on the conditioner) during your shower and voila!
Tip: If your hair is more on the oily side but you still want some deep conditioning, mix in an egg. This will help cut through the oils from the coconut so you're not left with a greasy feel.
- Like we said before, the scalp is the start to truly great hair. So, try an at-home scalp detox. Work to find something without heavy oils so your skin has some room to breathe. Also, be sure to massage your scalp as you're working the detox in. This increases circulation, relieves tension, and stimulates the follicles which can aid in hair growth. It's really a win-win!
With all of this amazing information now at your finger tips, keep in mind that not every product is going to be right for everyone. If you're skittish of committing to a full-sized product, try a customizable monthly sample subscription like Birchbox or Ipsy to explore skin and hair options even more. Finding something that is effective for you will give you satisfaction in more than just your cleansing routine. Expanding your self-care repertoire makes a big difference in your outlook, believe us!